Thursday, March 28, 2013

Daja like Déjà vu- How to Be Memorable

“Hi, my name is Daja like Déjà vu but spelled differently.” This is typically my intro whenever I meet someone. My co-workers think this is quite quirky, but I know they are pretty tickled by it. I grew up with people calling me Daisy and Dasha and Stacy (I have no idea how they came up with Stacy). Telling people that my name was Daja like Déjà vu seemed to be the best way to help people remember. Well it turns out that much like my co-workers, people are pretty tickled by that and never forget my name.
You, too, should find a way to be memorable to people you meet during your career search. Employers interview several candidates in an interview process. Although they take notes, it’s easy to overlook a few of those interviewees. If you want to stand out and be remembered, I have listed things that I have found to be memorable during interviews that I have conducted:
 
1)      Name Associations- I love it when people can associate their name with something memorable. (ex. Taylor like Taylor Swift. I love that girl, by the way)
 
2)      Come up with a creative way to introduce yourself- use a little humor that will help you distinguish who you are.
 
3)      Be Enthusiastic- employers love good energy…especially after a long day of interviews.
 
4)      Let them know what you can bring to the table- talk about your accomplishments and how you can incorporate them in the position.
 
5)      Bring something tangible to the interview- when interviewing for an Area Manager position in my company, I wore my lucky brown suit and brought a brown folder with accomplishments as a Store Manager. Not just plain brown folder, but one with some complementary colors in horizontal lines. I had my name on the front of the binder as an acronym. Each letter of my name had a skill set that would be valuable to the position. In my binder was my resume and accomplishments that were accumulated during my time as a Store Manager. I made the joke upon my arrival that I typically wouldn’t use a brown folder, but what the heck, it matched my lucky suit. It made for a nice ice breaker and really set the tone for the interview. Needless to say, my interview was memorable and I was offered the position.

daja.pope@mattressfirm.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment