Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Voicemail Woes

What happens if your voice doesn’t have any mail? Or your mail doesn’t have a voice?

You have decided to take a HUGE chance and leave your current job or maybe you recently graduated college. You are excited and ready to take on the world, nothing can stop you! But, it can be scary and difficult looking for a job. There are a million things going through your head that you must make sure you have completed. Questions and concerns rush through your mind… am I qualified for this position? I need to update my resume. What jobs do I list on my resume? How long will it take me to get hired? Is this the best move for me? Is this job going to pay me enough?

There are so many things you have to think about and worry about, that you could be forgetting to do the most important thing of them all; paying attention to the smallest of details. It can get frustrating when a recruiter comes across a resume or application and they love what they see; this person is qualified, educated, and has a lot of experience. This person is exactly who we are looking for! I am going to give them a call and set up a phone or even a face to face interview.

We pick up the phone and as the phone is ringing over and over, we start to plan the type of voicemail we are going to leave. Then we hear those words, which no recruiter wants to hear. “I’m sorry, but the number you are trying to reach has a voicemail box that is not set up, good bye.” But sometimes someone does pick up, only to tell us “I’m sorry you have the wrong number.”

Searching for a new career is hard enough, there are a lot of things that you need to make sure are completed as you are applying for jobs.  But don’t let the smallest details slip your busy mind.

Before you send in that resume, or fill out the job application, remember to keep these things in mind:
  • Make sure you have the correct contact number on your resume AND application. 
  • Make sure your voicemail is set up and empty of messages.
  • Make sure your voicemail is professional and simple. No need to have a 5 minute voicemail message with music blaring in the background.

It would be silly for you to miss out on a great job opportunity over something that is 100% in your control. 

For other great voicemail tips, please reach out to me at ryan.gentile@mattressfirm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment