Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Yo Interviewer, I’m really Happy for you….I’ll let you finish But….

disneydreaming.com
You may remember at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards Taylor Swift received the prestigious award for Best Female Video. In case you live under a rock, I’ll give you the synopsis. Four seconds into Taylor’s speech, Kanye West rudely interrupted by explaining that he was happy for Taylor, and would let her finish, but Beyonce Knowles deserved this award……What!?!
 
 
Now, you may question why I’m referencing something so outdated and frankly overly mentioned. Well, Kanye received much deserved negative scrutiny. In our culture, interruption is perceived as disrespectful and inconsiderate for the other party. As an interviewer, I’m interrupted more than you may imagine.
 
 
If we know that interrupting is so rude, why do we do it? Especially during something as important as an interview? Although I’m no psychologist, I’ve determined why someone would interrupt through my careful analysis:
1)      Wanting to relate to the interviewer’s topic
2)      Being passionate about the subject being discussed
3)      Not wanting to forget about what you are thinking
4)      Not being aware that one is, in fact, interrupting
5)      Wanting to get a point across
Earlier when I stated that Kanye rudely interrupted Taylor, that was a bit redundant. Interruptions are rude. We have to be more aware of this especially in an interview. An interviewer wants to know that you are passionate and have skill sets that are applicable. We want you to get your point across. You can execute all of these things without interrupting.  Challenge yourself to stay quiet and bring a notebook to mark down what you are thinking so you can express when the time is appropriate.

1 comment:

  1. I have this problem, and I have been working on this issue for quite some time. In fact, when going to an interview, I bring a questionnaire that states at the very top, DO NOT INTERRUPT!!! I'm going up for an interview with Mattress Firm next week, so wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete