Monday, September 23, 2013

Super Recruiters Have Feelings Too


Hi, my name is Erin and I’m a super recruiter. Everyone say it back now…”Hi, Erin.”
 
 
Even though I have super recruiting powers, I’m still human and rejection hurts. Let’s discuss how to let a company down easy.
 
 
I recently received a not-so-great email from a dear candidate that had accepted a job with my company and then changed her mind. This candidate had been on my radar for about a year. I met her at a university career fair and we instantly made a connection. She was a perfect fit and could have made a huge impact with Mattress Firm. We maintained a relationship for quite some time, hung out socially and I was even there for her during difficult times between her transition from college to the real world.
 
 
One gloomy morning, one week before she was scheduled to start with us, she emailed me with one sentence saying she had taken a job elsewhere. That’s it, one sentence! How could she do that to me after everything we’ve been through? I’m not going to lie...it stung.
 
 
Here are a few tips to avoid another travesty and not hurt a company’s super powers:
 
 
· Pick up the phone-call the employer to let them know you are declining the offer and why-we always value feedback!
· Don’t burn any bridges - leave the door open for the possibility of future employment with the company.
· Suggest any referrals you may know who would be a fit!
 
 
I may not be a masked vigilante fighting crime but I am trying to use my super recruiting powers to help those find a career right for them. So remember, even though a company may not be a fit for you, we still have feelings…let us down easy!


Do you have any super powers? Share them with erin.lindquist@mattressfirm.com



No comments:

Post a Comment