Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Intern Spotlight - Siham H.

“I never thought I would end up selling mattresses”, is what you would hear from just about every employee at Mattress Firm. Why stay? How come out of all the different companies to choose from, you chose Mattress Firm? “Because of the culture, it just feels like a family.” At first, I did not quite understand what the fuss was about when it came to ‘company culture’… until I started my internship, that is. 

I am Siham and I began this summer as an intern at Mattress Firm knowing as much about mattresses as almost every other guest – nothing. After a vigorous two-day pre-Memorial Day training, I felt like a mattress expert! However, when I showed up to work Memorial Day weekend, I quickly realized there was much more for me to learn about sales and the mattress industry. The best part is, no matter what level of training I have or who I am working with that day, I know for a fact that I would be treated not like the “new intern” but like every other employee. I am even given the chance to attend district and vendor meetings and am included in the community service Mattress Firm is a part of to raise money for pancreatic cancer through the Mattress Firm Foundation. Each individual I have had the pleasure to work with in my district has taught me something new and because of that I am able to not only grow and learn but also meet new people that have become great friends!

Mattress Firm is a company that knows how to work together as a synergistic team. This is something I was able to experience in just the three weeks I have been with the company so far. Everyone keeps in contact with each other during the day to make sure things are going smoothly and to ask for help with certain criteria they may not know about. There is always someone who will know more than you – here at Mattress Firm that someone is your friend who will guide you, train you, and most of all support and encourage you even if you mess up. One of Mattress Firm's core values is trust and without it the company would not be able to be as strong and as caring for each other and their guests. Mattress Firm employees know how to work hard and have fun doing it! There is always something new happening such as a competition to see who can sell the most mattress protectors or pillows that day to win Astros tickets. They also have regular conference calls where the managers encourage the employees to speak their minds for the good of the team. They even have a district-wide email thread where everyone can post and cheer on the sells for the day.

At this point I understand the company culture. Mattress Firm employees have so much passion for what they do, that they could not bear to think about spending their days somewhere else.  These characteristic are things I will be sure to look for in potential future employers. Mattress Firm is truly a family and I am pleased to be a part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment